Manage a crisis, sell more products, build credibility. Whatever your reason for being in the media, you must have skilled media spokespeople to achieve it.
Do not mistake personality and charisma as the requisites for a spokesperson. Successfully dealing with the media depends on many variables including the ability to read people before you respond to them.
That means, the best media spokespeople, must first be effective communicators with the ability to listen, empathise, frame, be assertive, provide concise explanations and more.
Training George’s bespoke media training program builds effective communicators first to ensure your media spokespeople are second to none.
Why media training with Training George:
- A bespoke program for your spokespeople.
- Develop effective communicators and spokespeople at the same time.
- Trainer is a communication expert with over 20 years of experience in consulting and training. She has worked across all the elements involved in producing the best media outcomes – from messaging, to media training and issues planning.
- Trainer has experience in media interviews, having participated in many herself.
- Training George is a company that specialises in and is solely focused on communication training.
The ideal media training candidate
Media training in and of itself, relies on a spokesperson’s ability to communicate effectively. This is not dependent on personality or communication style – Training George will work with each individual’s personal attributes to ensure authenticity and effectiveness.
The ideal participant would have:
- Organisational messaging, narratives and Q&As. Established messaging and communication literature is essential because it will guide the content of spokesperson interviews. It will assist spokespeople in identifying upfront topics to avoid, interview pitfalls and help to plan and prepare for hostile questioning. In the absence of these, please see our messaging workshop service. This is always the best place to start, and establishing these can be quick if your media training needs are urgent.
- Minimum organisational tenure of at least 3 months. The best media spokespeople are those who have depth of knowledge of their organisation, product, service and industry.
Training George understands that in some circumstances this is a luxury – particularly when it comes to reactive media opportunities that are issues or crisis based. All Training George courses are bespoke, and such circumstances will be taken into consideration upon program development.
Media Training course outcomes:
- Improved interpersonal communication skills
- Stress tested organisational messaging and gap identification
- Ability to plan and prepare for different media interviews (including television, radio, print & online media)
- Ability to effectively undertake a media interview in a range of media situations
- Deep understanding of your media landscape and how it works
- Effective delivery of key messages
- Hostile media management skills
- Understanding of how to establish and nurture relationships with journalists
- A process to handle nervousness and anxiety
Course Delivery Options
It is advisable to have more than one person media trained in any given organisation. If this is the first time your organisation undertakes media training, consider arranging group media training for the senior members of your team. Training George can also assist in identifying the right candidates for the program.
Book an obligation free consultation now for more information or a custom proposal.
Meet the trainer – Marie El Daghl
Over the last 20 years, Marie has worked and excelled in organisational communication of which leadership communication training has been a big part. She has worked with a myriad of brands big and small, amongst them Mastercard, Nespresso, Paramatta Eels, Sumo Salad, Amazon and more.
A skilled professional, she comes at communication training and coaching from a highly experienced place, broadly auditing the organisational context of the communication matter at hand for the best possible outcomes. A communication expert and amateur stand-up comedian means you can expect a fun and uniquely relaxed environment that will bring out the best in participants. Marie consistently delivers thorough sessions that will completely transform your communication skills.
Learn about Marie here.